Wednesday, December 24, 2008

You Can Leave Your Light On!

Well knock me down with a feather and call me Martin Lewis! In these times of hardship and penny watching, I was delighted to see that at last one of the energy providers was helping their customers understand how their bill breaks down. Traditionally its all been presented to the consumer in kilo jewels and gigawatt's that only Doc Brown would be able to quantify. As a result it has always nagged away at me that I can't compare how my use of electricity and gas has compare year on year given that the cost per unit continues to grow.

Eon - when they are not sponsoring the FA Cup, have put their energy into (badda-boom!) a neat little tool called your Energy Tracker and lo and behold I'm an EON customer so its a bit of a result really.

Below is a graph charting my use of gas and electricity (combined) for 2008 (bar) against 2007's (line) and there are a few things I can excitedly draw:

  1. The chart follows the seasonal path one would expect with my consumption (and therefore cost) dropping through Spring and into Summer. I would have laid a bet on that happening but its nice to see it in pictorial form and reassuring to know that I didn't leave the lights on whilst I was away on holiday.
  2. Was February 2007 really that cold or did I spank more because it was a leap year? If so we should ditch the 29th Feb. Useless old date.
  3. Likewise what was going on in May 2007 for me to use nearly 100% more than the following year. Is that global warming? I don't recall seeing any exotic wildlife in the garden.
  4. We had a faulty hot water tank and boiler this time a year ago and had it removed in the first weekend of December which leads me to think that man it was on its last legs in the month before. I do recall it wheezing quite a bit as it tried to push water up three flights of stairs! Maybe these new boilers are as efficient as they say?
  5. Did we turn the Christmas Tree lights on early last year?
And so here endith the lecture, brought to you in association with those wonderful white coated people at EON.

No comments: