Friday, September 14, 2007

Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Cake

So you are a huge rock band. You have seen it all, done it all, bought the t-shirt and then thrown it out of a hotel window tied to a TV. In summary you rock and you know it.

You have millions of fans. It's a given. Oh and you've not played in years.

So what do you do? You announce a one off show at a 20,000 seat arena, publicise it to the world and then open it to the whole world and their dog. What the f**k?

Tickets for the show will be allocated by public ballot - a move promoter Harvey Goldsmith hopes will deter touts.

What a load of rubbish. The ballot now currently over subscribed to the tune of 20 million people means that a true fan will a 0.1% chance of getting a ticket. So what will happen next? I'll tell you what - they will end on eBay where the other 99.9% will bid against each other and pay over the odds prices.

Goldsmith constantly rails against the auction sites and touts for profiting from his gigs and denying the true fan. So tell me how does the true fan stand to see the band this time round? He has done what appears to be his level best to give the true fan no chance of seeing the band. The promoters should have delved into Led Zep fan bases, targeted select groups, appealed to long time followers and offered them a flat rate. They would have still made the same margin, heck they could have maybe upped the price such is the rarity of the performance. Instead they have made it a lottery.

Prince got it right when it comes to playing the O2
Whole Lotta Icky Thump

No comments: